How To Get Your Hashtag To Trend On Twitter
October 9, 2014 Leave a comment
There are many reasons why certain hashtags trend. Some trend because of a big following while others trend because of the news. Getting your hashtag to trend is by no means an easy feat, but it is possible. In order to get your hashtag on Twitter to trend, these are the 5 things you need.
- Have a large, targeted following. Many of the people who get their own hashtag trending tend to have well over 50,000 followers. Find the most successful Twitter user in your niche and follow that person’s followers who are likely to follow back. Your following will eventually grow large enough to get a hashtag to trend on Twitter.
- Make the hashtag something good enough to trend. If you are approaching a certain follower milestone, tweet that out. Uber Facts used the hashtag #UberFactsTo6Million to get more people knowing about their approaching milestone.
- Give your followers a reason to tweet with the hashtag.Eg Uber Facts decided to do a $100 giveaway.
- Ask for tweets and retweets. Anyone who tweeted #UberFactsTo6Million or retweeted Uber Facts tweet with the hashtag got entered into the giveaway. As the hashtag started getting attention, people went to Uber Facts’ original tweet, saw the giveaway, and decided to retweet the tweet and get in on the action.
- Give people a reason to continue tweeting. Uber Facts decided to double the prize from $100 to $200 in honor of the tweet trending. This got more people’s attention and resulted in the hashtag trending for a longer period of time.
Those are the 5 things you need in order to get a hashtag to trend on Twitter. It is entirely possible that you become one of those movie stars or influential singers who has million of active followers, but for those of us who won’t be getting those two things, this is the best way to get a hashtag to trend on Twitter.