April 16, 2013 4 Comments
Often mis-attributed to Abraham Lincoln,the following ten cannots were put forth by Rev. Boetcker. They had a profound effect on Margaret Thatcher.She is supposed to have carried a news-paper clipping of these 10 cannots in her now famous handbag.
- You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
- You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
- You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.
- You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
- You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
- You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
- You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
- You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
- You cannot build character and courage by destroying men’s initiative and independence.
- And you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves. Read more of this post