Capri For Aristocrats
August 2, 2012 4 Comments
Hotel Continental, Hotel Métropole, Hotel Palatium , now JK Capri….
Originally the Hotel Continental was a private house named Villa Bovaro, which was built before 1878 .It was turned into a hotel sometime before 1885.At that time it belonged to Mario Canale, owner of several real estates all over the island.Sometime round 1897 the Hotel was managed by Giuseppe Maldacena XIII, who had established a company for the purpose with his brother-in-law Antonio Cimino, a seaman married to his sister Maria Maldacena.Since its opening under the Maldacena management. the hotel accommodated in particular Anglo-Saxon guests. Giuseppe Maldacena had lived in England for many years and spoke English very well so the hotel worked also as a sort of tourist information point of the island.
After the First World War the Hotel Continental was renamed Hotel Métropole. The building was inherited by Florindo Canale and by his wife Luisa Viva and afterwards it passed to Maria Canale, who had managed the hotel with her husband Antonio Vaccaro since the ’30s.
In the late ‘80s, during the renovation works carried out at the Hotel Métropole, which was renamed Hotel Palatium since that period, some important fragments and archaeological finds dating back to the Roman time were found. In fact the building is located on some Roman cisterns.
Here are some pictures of the Hotel now called JK Place,Capri.