About these ads

Volatility and the Indian Stock Markets

wealthymatters.comThe volatility of the Indian market which is above 26% is one of the highest in the world. So though the long-term CAGR of the Indian market is 15.60%, there have been specific points in time when the market returned 1.25% pa for a 10-year period as well as 19.98% pa for another 10-year period.

One of the biggest impacts of this volatility is that it increases the entry-point and exit-point risks in investing. The simplest way of tackling this risk is to invest in the market at regular periods of time, irrespective of its levels to achieve cost averaging and also participate in the long term upward trend of the Indian markets. Also it is better to stick to the stable large-cap blue-chip companies.

Another must do is diversification.Diversification across asset classes like debt, bullion,  commodities, etc, helps in reducing the volatility of the overall portfolio due to the low correlation between some asset classes. For example, the equity markets fell by more than 50% in 2008, whereas some debt funds returned 27% in the same year. Commodities like gold have very low correlation with both debt and equities.

About these ads

About Keerthika Singaravel
Engineer,Investor,Businessperson

8 Responses to Volatility and the Indian Stock Markets

1. sharemarketzone says:

Good Post.

2. Mcx Tips says:

I really appreciate your post.You explain each and every point very well.Thanks for sharing this information.And I’ll love to read your next post too.

3. Rakesh says:

Thanks for this interesting information! I found it very useful.

4. Dinesh says:

God, I feel like I should be taking notes! Great work !

5. ibanker says:

Nice post.

• Hari says:

Thanks for telling me this important piece of information.

6. Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your previous stuff and you’re just too magnificent.I actually like what you’ve got here.I certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care to keep it sensible. I cannot wait to read more from you. This is actually a tremendous site.

• Mehta says:

Great post!Really important stuff.

Please Leave Me Your Comments!I Love Reading Them!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,312 other followers